A garage door is an essential part of your home security system. It’s also the most likely entry point for unwanted guests and thieves. Garage door locks are a great way to keep your home and property safe. But, how do you pick a garage door lock?
There are a few things to consider when choosing a garage door lock:
- First, you’ll want to make sure that the lock is compatible with your door. Most locks are available in both manual and electronic versions.
- Second, you’ll want to think about how often you’ll be using the lock. If you only use the garage occasionally, a less expensive lock may be sufficient. However, if you use the garage more often, you may want to invest in a more robust lock.
- Third, consider your security needs. Do you need a code or key to open the door?
- Finally, consider your budget. Do you want to spend a little more on a better lock, or do you want to save some money by going with a less expensive option?
You can read How To Open A Locked Bathroom Door? (20 Easy Ways)
Tools You Need to Open a Lock:
To pick a garage door lock, you’ll need the following tools:
- A screwdriver
- A adjustable wrench
- A key
It’s essential to remember that not all garage door locks are the same. Some require a particular type of screwdriver or wrench to be opened. If you are not sure which kind of lock your garage has, consult with a professional.
How to pick a garage door lock with a paperclip?
If you’re new to garage door security or just don’t have the time or tools to change your lock, there’s no need to worry. Here’s a simple guide on picking a garage door lock with just a paperclip!
Step1) find the lock’s “deadbolt” or main door handle. On most models, this is a large, round knob on the front of the door.
Step 2) find the small hole in the middle of the deadbolt. This is where you will insert your paperclip.
Step 3) turn the deadbolt to its “locked” position by pushing down on the handle with your screwdriver and pulling up on the paperclip with your wrench.
Step 4) open your garage door by gently pushing down on the handle with your screwdriver and pulling up on the paperclip with your wrench again.
Congratulations! You’ve just successfully picked a garage door lock with a paperclip.
How to pick a garage door lock with a bobby pin?
What is a bobby pin? Bobby pins are small, thin pieces of metal used to fasten pieces of clothing together. They can also be used to pick locks.
To pick a garage door lock with a bobby pin, first, identify the type of lock that is on the door. There are two standard garage door locks, the spring lock, and the keypad lock.
Next, use the bobby pin to poke a small hole in the center of the lock. This will allow you to use a unique tool called a “dynamite” to blow open the lock.
Once the lock has been blown open, use the paperclip to pick the lock.
How to pick a garage door lock using a coating hanger?
If you’re looking to pick a garage door lock but don’t know where to start, you may want to try using a coating hanger. Coating hangers are designed to help you pick a lock by inserting the hook into the tumbler and turning it.
This will cause the spring inside the lock to push against the coating on the hanger, making it easier for you to figure out which way is up.
Below are the steps to pick a garage door lock if you use a coat hanger:
- Locate the garage door lock.
- Find a coating hanger.
- Insert the coating hanger pin point into the keyhole of the garage door lock.
- Turn the garage door lock to the “closed” position.
- Hold onto the coating hanger with one hand and use your other hand to turn the garage door handle to the “open” position.
Why should you learn to pick garage locks?
There are many reasons you might want to learn how to pick garage locks. Maybe you live in a complex environment with multiple entrances, and you want to be able to protect your belongings from thieves.
Maybe you have children who are always getting into the car, and you want to be able to keep them out. Or perhaps you just inherited a home with outdated security measures, and you want to update them.
Whatever the reason, learning how to pick garage locks is an essential skill that can help protect your belongings and keep yourself safe.
Here are five tips for picking garage locks that will help make the process easier:
- Practice Makes Perfect: The more times you practice picking garage locks, the better chance you have of becoming an expert. Try to pick a lock that you don’t have access to on your own home so that you can practice trying different techniques.
- Use the Right Tools: When selecting a garage door lock, use a coating hanger instead of a key. Coating hangers are specially designed to help you pick locks without damaging them.
- Take Your Time: Don’t rush the process – if you make any mistakes, you’ll probably have to start over.
- Keep an Eye on the Numbers: When turning the garage door handle, make sure the numbers on the side of the door match those in the keyhole
- Be Prepared for a Struggle: Don’t be surprised if picking a garage door lock takes some effort. But with a bit of practice, you’ll be able to get the job done.
Note- You can use the best quality door lock lubricant regularly for smooth working in every time.
The Bottom Line
A garage door lock or lock pick set is an essential part of keeping your home safe. You can easily pick any garage door lock by following these simple steps.
The above steps depend on the model of a garage door lock. So if your garage door lock does not work applying the above steps, you can contact a professional locksmith.
I’m Bobby Taylor, a tech lover, writer, and editor for Smart Home Protector. I am also a customer relationship officer of a well established electronics manufacturer company in the United States.