Want to know if you can monitor your own security system? Yes, it is possible! It may sound less secure and puts a lot of responsibilities and even stress on the individual. Despite that, many accept the idea.
When you self-monitor, the alarm system gives you a direct alert through a cell phone or pager. They may come from motion or contact sensors, cameras, or other devices.
Based on the signals, you can decide how to respond to the situation. You may choose to speak through cameras, see footage or contact your neighbor, police, or fire department.
An alarm system becomes much more effective when combined with home security camera systems.
4 Ways to Monitor Home Security System!
I have listed down some popular home security systems and discussed how they help with self-monitoring.
1) Smart Cameras
Cameras can be used to monitor your home remotely. You can use your phone to monitor all activities. Besides, there are external cameras that have lighting features. It will turn on when it detects movement.
Again, some cameras have a two-way audio system. It allows you to communicate by phone with someone who is at your home.
Monitor Security Using Smart Cameras
Since it is not possible to monitor 24/7 yourself, you should set up a camera with a motion detector. You may have to subscribe to advanced features to get professional motion-detecting support. It makes it easier for you to identify objects clearly.
To reduce network traffic, look for an outdoor WiFi camera that connects to either 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Change your default password to secure your account effectively. You do not want just anyone to peek into your monitoring activities.
Using Alexa or Google Assistant to help you control your camera. You will only require voice commands to monitor your system in such cases. You can also set activity zones to focus on the areas you want to cover.
WiFi cameras may not always upload footage to the internet directly. They use cloud storage for that. It may require paid subscription sometimes.
With proper access to cloud storage, you can view activities in real-time using smart devices. So you should use a high-resolution camera if you want to monitor the garden or entrance area.
For nighttime coverage, use a camera that has a nighttime vision. Most cameras support 2.4 GHz networks. So if your router runs on a 5GHz frequency, use a camera that is compatible with the frequency to avoid connectivity issues.
You can use a user-friendly app to support you in monitoring. It is important to look for features such as live streaming footage, getting timely notifications, and controlling the camera remotely.
Use two-factor authentication to prevent unauthorized access to accounts. It is good to use a camera that encrypts your footage using the AES-256 bit. It is the standard used by the U.S. military.
2) Smart Locks
When you have smart locks, you can set automatic locking from a certain distance at a certain time. When you are choosing a smart lock system, make sure to check if it is compatible with your existing home lock system structure. Otherwise, you will need a builder.
Monitor Security Using Smart Locks
- You can give access to your close ones by giving them the smart lock code. Some even allow the generation of custom access codes for family and friends.
- You can set programmable locks that lock your door automatically after a specific period of time.
- Get alerts from your smart lock if there it senses any unwanted entrance.
- Pair up the smart lock with a security camera to make your security stronger. In this way, you can open the door for your expected guests.
- You may also pair it up with a two-way audio system. It allows you to communicate with visitors from a remote distance.
3) Video Doorbells
Using a video doorbell, you can interact with visitors no matter where you are. The system is linked with apps on your phone.
It will notify you whenever a motion sensor detects movement. Moreover, it allows you to interact with a visitor when they ring the bell.
- With video doorbells, get alerts on your smartphone and other devices instantly. You can live-monitor or can check footage later when needed.
- You may need to purchase or subscribe to get extra features for more security.
- You can easily communicate with visitors at your doorstep when you have a two-way audio system with your video doorbell.
- You can monitor a large area if you have a high-quality video feature installed with the doorbell.
- You may use a video doorbell compatible with your smart lock system.
- Use a doorbell that can connect to other smart home security equipment.
- Video doorbells also allow you to monitor real-time or recorded footage.
- Generally, video doorbell gives you a range of video between 155° to 180° and up to 50 feet.
You can read the pros and cons of video doorbells
4) Temperature or Humidity Alarms
With this type of security system, you can get alerts on emergency situations such as fires.
These security systems are often wireless and allow easy DIY installation.
Monitor Security Using Temperature or Humidity Alarms
- A temperature and humidity alarm gives measurements within a few seconds intervals.
- You can also get alerts on high and low humidity conditions.
- Get all the high and low records for the previous 24 hours.
- You may also get alerts and reports through your email, apart from getting them on smart devices through apps.
- Get notified through different types of indicators as well. Such as flashing lights.
It is possible to monitor your own security system. You can either opt for professional settings or DIY options. You can use your smartphone or other devices to monitor most activities.
Features such as high-resolution video, a two-way audio system, various alerts, real-time video watch, and more allow you to supervise your security system effortlessly.
You may sometimes need to make paid subscriptions for added security and features. However, the biggest problem is the extra effort and dedication you require to monitor your home security.