It has become an increasing challenge to find the best RV surge protector for RVs or home use. With so many brands and models available in the market. That’s why it may be difficult for you to know which one will work right for you.
However, The below 9 RV surge protectors are reviewed here. They range from a simple plug-in model to a more sophisticated device & good for installing on your RV’s/home’s electrical panel. You can find one that fits your needs and budget.
What Is RV Surge Protector?
RV surge protectors are devices that plug into a regular outlet and then connect to an RV’s power cord. In the event of a power outage or poorly grounded campsite, they help prevent electrical surges from damaging any appliances or electronic systems.
When people have full-time jobs and can’t tell their schedule for two weeks, they might not be near when there is an unexpected power outage. Especially in this condition, a good quality surge protector will be a helpful friend to protecting home devices.
But it’s important to note, installation should be done by qualified electricians only because it entails dealing with 220-volt circuits. Also, you should understand how electricity works in RVs.”
RV surge protector protects you from these four things.
Kinds of RV Surge Protector
There are different types of surge protectors that you can choose from your needs. The most used types are:
(1) The Battery-Operated Cordless One:
This kind of RV surge protector is the most accessible and commonly used. Many people consider it as a ‘must have’ for their RVs. It’s easy to use because you can simply plug your cord into it and then plug the surge protector into any standard 120-volt outlet. You can also use it to charge cell phones and laptops while on the road.
A cordless surge protector is compact, lightweight, and portable. They are also easy to install & most of them have a simple plug-in indicator light. Also, it can be able to turn off your appliances automatically when it detects an electrical problem such as a voltage surge or spikes.
(2) Wired Indoor Surge Protector
In comparison to a battery-operated surge protector, it’s more complicated to use. When you buy a wired model, you’ve to be aware of rough handling which may complicate its functionality.
You’ll need an electrician for installation either to your RV’s electrical panel or directly to your home’s main fuse box. This kind of RV surge protector is ideal for RVs that are hooked up to a permanent power source.
(3) Hardwired Indoor surge protector
Hardwired indoor surge protectors are also tricky when it comes to installation. An electrician should be able to connect the device directly to your RV’s main fuse box or directly into your electrical panel. This device is preferred by RVs that are hooked up to a permanent power source such as campsites or RV parks.
(4) Combination of wired and battery-operated surge protectors
You can combine these two types in order to have the best protection for your recreational vehicle. There will be an easy installation since it only requires connecting the battery-operated surge protector to your RV’s cord while you already have a hardwired one connected to an electrical panel or fuse box.
RV Surge Protector’s Comparison Chart With Our Top Picks
|Southwire Surge protector
[Our top pick]
|● Continuous monitoring of LCD
●10-second start-up delay
● Universal fit
|Progressive industries surge protector
[Best budget pick]
|● Hardwired protection
● Weather resistant
● Easy to use
|Hughes Autoformer’s power watchdog
[Best high-end pick]
|● Smart circuit analyzer
● Wireless connectivity
● High-quality power surge protection
|3A technology surge protector||● Auto identification
● Simple power analysis
● Heat reduction features
|Surge protector from Research Technology Corps||● Automatic reset
● Anti-theft lock ring
● Universal fit
|Cameco power grip surge protector||● Automatic connect/disconnect
● Diagnostic LED
● Easy to use
|Hughes Autoformer’s surge protector||● Wireless connectivity
● Easy grip handles
● Lightweight & portable
|Technology research entry-level surge protector||● Built-in intelligence
● LED diagnostic
● Circuit analyzes
|Cameco’s RV voltage protector||● Automatic features
● Better quality
● Easy use
9 Best Rv Surge Protectors To Keep Your RV/Home Safe
1. Surge Guard 44280 By 30A Technology Co.
Surge Guard 44280 is designed to manage the high power consumption of an RV or campground. It can identify and indicate faulty parks, open circuits, or no power. It also can spot an overheated plug or receptacle. This surge protector is tested for open neutral, open ground, or reverse polarity.
It provides a LED fault chart that is easy to read and shows a simple power analysis. This protector is featured with an increased receptacle brass thickness to reduce heat which really can bring peace of mind during camp or RV days. To reduce handling problems it comes up with an easy-to-use T-pull plug handle.
It would be a great surge protector for campgrounds, travel trailers, or pops up.
- Auto Identification: The surge protector can automatically identify the faulty park power. And it can save you from a power surge. Due to the automatic system, you no longer need to worry about your RV surge. So, it’s the perfect choice for travel trailers and pop-ups.
- Easy To Read: The fault chart on the safeguard surge protector is pretty easy to read. That means you can easily read what’s going on with your RV surge. On top of that, you can read the power analysis reports without help. The LED fault chart makes such things possible for you.
- Simple Power Analysis: This safeguard surge protector can make simple power analyses to protect your RV from power surges. The power tests will indicate surge protection status, reverse polarity, open ground, open neural, no power, open circuit, receptacle, and overheating plug. So, it would be easy to keep an eye on every power-related part.
- Heat Reduction: It can monitor the heat on your RV surge and take necessary measures. If the temperature increases, it can increase receptacle brass thickness and control the heat. So, no worries when the temperature gets unstable for a while.
- T-Pull Handle: The surge protector is portable and most useful for travel. That’s why every plug of the protector has an easy T-pull handle. It makes the tool more convenient to use.
What we like
- It tests your pedestal before passing the power through the RV
- Convenient to use
- LED illuminator to show power status and faulty parks or circuit
- Weather resistant
- Waterproof cover to protect from rain
What we didn’t like
- It can melt the plug if it is connected with power on.
Expert opinion: It’s a convenient choice as a surge protector if you look at the price tag and features, especially the LED light indicator. In addition, it can save your inverter and give you an immediate warning. So, go for it if you need one.
2 Portable Wireless Surge Guard (34931) By Technology Research Corp
It is one of the best and smartest RV surge protectors. It comes with intelligent features which are very much compatible with a travel trailer or any other electrical pedestal. The smart microprocessor of this surge protector can detect faulty parks as well as low and high frequencies.
It also provides protection against all kinds of electrical issues that could happen in your pedestal, like, open ground, open neutral, sudden power surges, elevated ground line current, reverse polarity, and miswired pedestal.
Apart from the complete electrical protection, it saves the receptacle from overheating. It also keeps your most sensitive and expensive appliances protected. It takes 128 seconds to reset protecting AC compressor.
It is peace of mind to use Technology Research Corp 34931 Surge Guard for long-lasting protection.
- Frequency Protection: The surge guard can protect you from faulty electric systems and park power. In addition, it can easily handle high and low-frequency problems whenever there’s a problem with the power.
- Anti-Theft Lock Ring: Some people might want to steal your surge guard and sell it at a lower price. But the Technology Research Corps developed an anti-theft ring on their surge guard. As it’s on the cord, it can save your surge protector from thieves.
- Automatic Reset: The surge guard can reset the system after power restoration whenever there’s a power surge on your RV. Therefore, any problem with the system won’t continue further. But you may have to change the default settings according to your purpose.
- Power Surge Protection: The protection from this power surge includes a miswired power pedestal, receptacle/ Overheating plug, open neutral, open ground, an elevated ground line, reversed polarity, etc. So, it can secure your RV from any unfortunate power-related problems.
- Universal Fit: The tool is made of every type of RV. Because of its universal fit, you don’t have to worry about the surge protector size anymore. As it’s portable, you can carry it wherever you go with your RV.
What we like
- Easy setup and convenient to use
- Lock ring on cord to prevent stealing
- Auto power restoration and reset
- LCD continuously shows voltage and RMS
- Featured with multi-mode actions
What we didn’t like
- No reference to weather resistance.
Expert opinion: The price is a bit higher than other RV surge protectors’ models, and you can find a similar product at an affordable price. However, if the price isn’t an issue, you can get this surge protector because of its unique features.
3. 55306 Power Grip RV Voltage Protector By Camco
This surge protector is designed to use on a campground, RV, and travel trailers. It is developed to use outdoors and you don’t have to use any cover to protect it as it is weather resistant.
Also, it will make your vacation tension-free. Before connecting the pedestal it carries out a diagnostic. If the circuit or source is okay to connect with, the LED display illuminates sending a signal. The smart circuit analyzer can detect wiring issues and faulty parks.
The contoured power grip handles make plugging and unplugging easier. As an RV protector, Camco 55306 RV Power Defender is a great choice for the money.
- Easy To Use: Because of the contoured grips, you can easily plug and unplug the 50amp surge protector. On top of that, it has a weather-resistant capability which means the surge protector can continue functioning in adverse weather conditions.
- First, however, you need to install it in an upright position. Only then will it work properly.
- Automatic Disconnect/Connect: The surge protector has a feature to sense dangerous conditions and then disconnect. Then, when the situation gets normal (power supply to your RV), it can reconnect (the operation conditions should be restored). The surge protector also has 50-amp female (NEMA 14-50R) and 50 amp male (NEMA 14-50P).
- RV Voltage Protection: It’s a 50-amp surge protector that can protect your RV appliances and your RV at the same time from both high (>132 VAC) and low (<102 VAC) voltage. It also has integrated surge protection that can withstand up to 4200 Jules. So it would be enough to protect from power surges in a regular RV.
- Diagnostic LED: This RV surge protector comes with an indicator of faults. That means when you connect the electrical cord to the power pedestal. It protects against reverse polarity faults and opens neutral and hardwired EMS issues. On top of that, it can reset the functions after 140 seconds of power back.
- Better Quality: Cameco’s power surge protector is compatible with all types of RVing, towing, camping, boating, grilling, and tailgating. All of these will help you with your passion for outdoor adventures. There won’t be anything to worry about regarding power surge problems with your RV because you have the surge protector.
What we like
- Fit into adverse weather conditions
- Convenient to use
- Auto operation feature that is disconnected in a dangerous condition and again connected when the condition has been put back.
What we didn’t like:
- It could be heated and melted to the plug
- It might face problems in the rainy season or water
Expert Opinion: First of all, the price is pretty high. And an LED display would be better with the LED lights to know specific problems related to the power surge. The delay time should be shorter. But there’s nothing to tell about the quality because it’s one of the best.
4. BX4370 Power Watch Dog 30 AMP Surge Protector By Hughes Autoformers
Hughes Autoformer BX4370 Power WatchDog is the first-ever protector which alerts you via your mobile phone app. It connects your mobile phone app with Bluetooth and a notification pops up when any danger or issue comes up in your electrical connection.
This smart technology can help you to prevent any unwanted situation in your RV, trailer, or campsite even when you are away. It not only just alerts you but takes action by itself.
When a power surge comes or voltage drops, it shut the electrical flow off and disconnects the appliances from the connection. When the situation gets back to normal, it automatically reconnects in 90 seconds. It will be a protector for your RVs if you are a smart technology user.
- Universal Fit: The surge protector from Hughes Autoformer is suitable for all RVs because of its universal fit. So, if you worry about the surge protector size, get this universal fit tool. And because there won’t be issues with the connectivity to your RV.
- Lightweight And Portable: The dimensions of the surge protector are 14×11×3 inches, and the weight is around 3 pounds. Therefore, it’s lightweight compared to other surge protectors on the market. It’s also small in size, making it more convenient to use as a portable surge protector for your RV.
- Easy Grip Handles: Some surge protectors are tough to use with hands because of the grips. But that’s not the case with the Hughes Autoformer’s surge protector. Instead, it has easy grip handles. So, you can work with the protector pretty smoothly. The grip also comes in handy when carrying it along while traveling.
- Wireless Connectivity: The Hughes Autoformer Surge Protector offers wireless connectivity via Bluetooth. You can connect it to your phone and control the activity. There’s also a free App for the surge protector of Hughes Autoformer. The control system is better with the App rather than Bluetooth.
- 30 Amp Power Surge Protection: The power surge protection is up to 30 amps. That means whenever the power surge occurs, it can protect the RV and your RV appliances. It has all the creativity and latest innovations to save you from electrical issues.
What we like
- It starts working in 2 seconds after plugging in
- Automatic power-off feature shut the connection off when an unstable power condition comes
- Auto restore or reset feature
What we didn’t like
- The Bluetooth connection becomes drop in above 30 feet
Expert opinion: It’s suitable for those who want to have small and lightweight surge protectors. And the wireless feature is pretty reliable. But it doesn’t have automatic features. On top of that, 30 amp protection is a bit lower if you have a high-end RV. So, know the specs of your RV and see if it’s compatible.
5. PWD50-EPO-H, 50 Amp Spike Power Watchdog By Hughes Autoformers
Hughes Autoformers PWD50-EPO Power Watchdog is a unique and smart gadget that not only saves your electronics from power surges but also sends an update on your smartphone.
It will monitor electric power conditions and send notification text in real-time using an app on your smartphone if any abnormality comes up. It can protect your RV from 4800 joules of power surge. It comes with an EPO (emergency power off) system. If the voltage becomes too high or too low, it will immediately shut down the power.
When you have to replace it, just change the surge module or spike module. You don’t need to replace the whole unit. This surge protector will take your RV to the next level.
- Smart Circuit Analyzer: The power watchdog has an intelligent circuit analyzer that helps to tackle any incident. If the RV faces any dangerous situation, the analyzer will shut off the power of the RV automatically. You will also see a notification alert on your smartphone sent by the circuit analyzer. It also gets back to normal when the system reset is complete.
- Diagnostic LED: It has full LED diagnostic park power fault alerts. The alerts include open neutral, open ground, reverse polarity, miss-wire, open circuit, etc. The LED indicator will give you different notifications for each of these issues. So you won’t be confused about recognizing the problem. On top of that, these LED diagnostics will automatically transfer to your smartphone.
- Short Delay Time: When you plug in the Hughes Autoformer’s power watchdog, it takes only 4 seconds to power on, while several other brands take more than two minutes to power on. In addition, if there’s any fault with the system, it takes 90 seconds to power on the delay, a built-in feature. In this way, the AC unit of the RV will be protected.
- Wireless Connectivity: The power watchdog surge protector can connect to your smartphone via Bluetooth. Its innovation comes in pretty handy when you are away from the protector. Put another way; you don’t need to stand in one place while it’s still plugged in. Instead, you will get every notification from the surge protector about what’s happening and the problem. And thanks to the intelligent circuit analyzer it makes all of these possible.
- Power Surge Protection: With the advanced technology, the power surge protection of the Hughes Autoformer’s power watchdog is pretty high. It offers you 4800 Jules of power surge protection which is enough for any average RV. It also has emergency power off (EPO) for the protection of your appliances in the RV.
What we like:
- It is designed to use outdoors with a rainproof rating.
- Anti-theft locking system.
- Comes with an installation bracket, fastener, and user manual.
- Detect faulty wires, open ground, open neutral, reverse polarity, miswired, and open circuits.
- LED illuminating display.
What we didn’t like
- Bluetooth doesn’t work for extended distances.
Expert opinion: First, it has no receptacle/ overheating alert in the built-in features. But the intelligent circuit analyzer is revolutionary for protecting from power surges. You can observe the conditions of your RV and LED diagnostics in real-time on your smartphone. So despite the high price, the option of having the Hughes Autoformer’s power watchdog is pretty viable.
6. Surge Guard 44270 By Technology Research
This surge guard is completely weather resistant. So you can use it in all forms of weather conditions. It gives you absolute protection from rain, hot sun, frosty weather, and even a thunderstorm.
After every surge, no matter how big it is, it can be reset by itself. It offers 4200 Joules of surge protection with identifying faulty park power. Normally we need 1000 to 2000 joules to get sufficient protection for power tools.
You may need the highest 2000 joules or above for a gaming console or computer with important data. It can save your electronics from any possible highest peak of electricity. It will give you more protection than you need. Also, it can also identify any faulty park power in nanoseconds and supply an average required voltage to your appliances.
- LED Diagnostics: The LED diagnostics will run tests on your RV and show the problem with the LED light sequences. For example, its test indicates open neutral, ground, and correct polarity. The LED indicators also show the power status of your RV. So, the signals are crucial to learning about the issues and taking immediate measures.
- Built-In Intelligence: The built-in intelligence helps to identify faulty park power. Therefore, you can take action and shut down the power to resolve the issues. In addition, the LED lights will notify the faulty park power when you plug in the device.
- Analyze Circuits: You need to be aware of the pedestals. Thanks to the surge protector, it will analyze the circuit of your RV and verify the pedestal powers. It’s normal to have inconsistent power wherever you place the camp. And it can harm your RVs expensive electrical components. With the surge protector, you can minimize the potential damage to your equipment.
- Lightweight & Portable: The dimensions of the surge protector are 22.1×3.8×3.5 inches, and its weight is about 0.03 pounds. So, it’s considerably lightweight. You can easily carry it during your travels and camping. And the size is enough to be compatible with most RVs. That’s why it’s perfect for travelers and pop-ups.
- Power Surge Protection: The surge protector can offer you power surge protection of 4200 Jules. Such power is enough to protect you from any measure of power breakdown and save your RV appliances from electrical damage. It can also secure your RV from a lightning strike.
What we like
- Verifies pedestal power by analyzing circuits.
- Indicators light up to show power status.
- It tests for and can also indicate open ground, open neutral, and correct polarity.
- T-Pull™ plug handles are easy to convenient.
What we didn’t like
- While separating it from the power cable, it can be felt a bit of tightness.
Expert opinion: The surge protector doesn’t have a receptacle or open circuit alert. So, it could be a problem for those who go camping frequently. The entry-level surge protector is a complete package for your RV within the affordable price range. But if you want more, you need to spend a bit extra and look for other models.
7. 34930 Surge Guard 30A By Southwire Store
This surge is a great option for incorrectly installed electrical appliances. Sometimes your devices or even electrical pedestals can’t be installed correctly. There might be reversed hot or neutral, broken ground, etc.
This kind of setup is not safe at all. To avoid any kind of accident to check the correct polarity, grounding and voltage you need a quality surge protector. This device checks for incorrect or improperly installed electrical equipment thus saving your electrical system from damage plus go-off or overvoltage conditions.
After plugging it in, you have to wait for a few seconds while it analyzes the power and tells you if it’s safe to plug in. It continues to check power and will disconnect if a problem comes. It not only protects your RV, but it also checks the power at the camp power pole to assure you before plugging in. It’s the best surge guard protector that is worthy of your investment.
- LCD display: One of the core features of the Southwire power surge protector is that it has an LCD in English text (no codes). Therefore, you won’t need to learn any signals. Instead, just directly read the reports from the display. In addition, it continuously monitors the AMPs (RMS) and voltages and shows them to the LCD.
- Short Delay: When the surge protector is plugged in, it takes only 10 seconds delay in the start-up sequence. Whenever a dangerous situation like a sudden lighting strike or power shut down, it takes only 128 seconds to delay reset after turning on the power. The delay timing is deliberately set at 128 seconds to protect the AC unit and its Compressor.
- Anti-Theft Lock: You don’t have to worry about the surge protector when you are not around it. That’s because it has an anti-theft lock bracket and safety cover to protect it from thieves.
- Universal Fit: The power surge protector is a universal fit. That means it’s compatible with all the RVs. You can plug it in with any type of cord. There won’t be any issues with size and connectivity with this surge protector.
- Surge Protection: The surge protector from Southwire has power protection of 2450 Jules and 30amps. It can also sustain high (240V) and low (120V) voltage.
- Multi-Mode: It can also provide multi-mode power surge protection. On top of that, the surge protector supports automatic reset after power restoration. In addition, it has convenient and easy T-pull handles for a good grip during the task.
What we like
- Provides a 10-second start-up sequence.
- Protects A/C compressor by delaying the reset by 128 seconds.
- Automatically analyzes power at the source.
- Notifies possible problems with power before plugging RV in.
What we didn’t like
- It’s a little pricey.
Expert opinion: The Southwire power surge protector is compact with all the features you need to protect your RV. The company also offers limited lifetime warranties for its product. However, it doesn’t have any weather-resistant features. So, it might be challenging to get the readings in harsh weather. But, other than that, it’s a perfect choice.
8. Portable RV Smart Surge Protector (SSP-30XL) By PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES
Progressive Industries 30 Amp works with 30 amp RVs to protect your electrical appliances. It shows an instant response and temporarily disconnects the power when surges up to 22,500A occur.
This surge protector will also alert you to wiring issues. It can detect open neutral, open ground, and reverse polarity problems. It comes with digital lights which help you to figure out if it’s safe to plug in your RV.
It’s designed for outdoor use. This surge is weather-resistant and thermally protected. It can operate from -40 degrees to +105 degrees Celsius. You can use it outside with peace of mind. This is one of the best entry-level RV surge protectors.
- Surge Protection: The power surge protector from Progressive Industries has three modes. It can sustain 3600W/ 120V/ 30A. On top of that, it has a heat resistant feature which means you can operate the surge protector from -45 degrees to +105 degrees. The power protection is up to 825 Jules. So the protection features are pretty promising.
- Weather Resistant: The surge protector is designed to be used outdoors. Therefore, it has weather resistant features. The tool has a weather shield assembly. So, you can use it in any weather conditions. This tool also has thermal protective layers to enhance its performance in rough conditions.
- Hardwired Protection: The surge protector gets the highest power surge and electrical protection level because of this feature. Therefore, you won’t be at risk of leaving the surge protector behind. And each time you plug in and give power to your RV, you will rest assured that there won’t be any issues.
- Easy To Use: The tool has a rugged pull handle that gives a good grip. The locking bracket and rugged Lexan housing provide enough security. It’s also lightweight (only 2.8 pounds) and small enough (14× 5.25× 3.5) to carry it everywhere.
- LED Lights: The brighter LED indicators (3 LEDs) result from testing reverse polarity detection, open ground, open neutral, surge failure, and miswired pedestals. Therefore, it gets easier to receive the signals and take immediate action.
What we like
- The built-in polarity tester checks the status of the power source before use and surge indicator and notes the condition of the surge protector
- LED indicators of badly connected wire and surge failure
- Durable pull handle and locking bracket
- Tough Lexan housing
- The cover protects it from outside disturbances
- Lifetime warranty and you will get a replacement if there is any manufacturer defect.
What we didn’t like
- Lacks protection against over and under-voltage
- Makes a buzzing sound.
Expert opinion: You can say it’s an all-in-all package. However, it doesn’t have any integrated LED tester. And it would be perfect to have a display instead of light signals. The surge protection is also lower than other models in the price range. So, if that’s not a matter of concern to you, definitely get this surge protector.
9. Power Grip RV Voltage Protector (55301) By Camco
This voltage/ surge protector guards your electrical equipment against both high voltage (>132 VAC) and low voltage (<102 VAC) as well as power surges. It provides surge protection for up to 2, 800 joules.
When it detects any irregular flow of voltage, it automatically disconnects the appliance from the supply and reconnects again when the voltage level comes to a balance. It reconnects a little late to protect sensitive equipment like the air conditioner. After blocking a sudden power surge, it takes 140 seconds to reset.
Camco 55301 30 Amp detects wiring issues and protects against faulty wire, reverse polarity, open neutral, etc. Though it seems a little expensive, it’s worth the price. If you are looking for the best RV surge protector, this one’s for you.
- Diagnostic LEDs: The LEDs result from several diagnostics run on open ground, open neutral, reverse polarity, and other wiring issues. It can also detect faults when connecting any electrical cord to the pedestals. So, it’s pretty handy to keep an eye on these issues.
- Easy Use: The surge protector has contoured grips, making it easier to use in any position. It also has weather-resistant features. It means you can use it in any weather conditions. But you need to install it in an upright position. Though it weighs a bit extra than other models, you can still carry it on your travels.
- Automated Features: It can automatically disconnect whenever an unstable situation like sudden voltage up-down or power shut down. And when the operating conditions look normal, it connects and continues. However, the delay time after any incident is about 140 seconds.
- Power Surge Protection: The surge protector can sustain up to 2800 Jules and 30amp. It can protect your RV appliances along with your RV from dangerous power surges. It can withstand high (>132 VAC) and low (<102 VAC). In addition, this protection is integrated, so you don’t need any external protection source for your RV.
- Better Quality: Without a doubt, the Cameco power surge protector is a high-quality product. The high-end polymeric materials can sustain in the long run. You can also claim the warranty if there’s a malfunction with the tool.
What we like
- Diagnostic LED indicator lights indicate faults
- Weather resistant and waterproof
- Power grip handle makes plugging and unplugging easier.
What we didn’t like
- No locking system.
Expert opinion: The price is pretty high. But we can expect an LED display and a higher power surge sustaining power at this price. However, the automatic feature and LED diagnostics are pretty helpful. You can also use it in every weather. So, we think it’s a pretty good choice if the mentioned lack is not a fact to you.
Buyer’s Guide For RV Surge Protectors
Here is a buying guide that you can follow to buy the right RV surge protector for your needs.
Make sure that your RV power protectors are built with durable materials including integrated circuit breakers or MOVs. These devices should also be dust and water-resistant to keep them looking new even after a long time of use.
Commonly, RV surge protectors can be plugged into an outlet in the wall or they can be equipped with their own plug. This is to allow users to switch off appliances that are not used frequently so they’ll save power and energy.
3. Joules Rating:
You should choose one that has the highest joule rating when purchasing a surge protector. It’ll be able to withstand voltage surges and spikes from the power grid or generator without damaging your RV appliances.
You should buy a surge protector that fits with your RV electrical system voltage. You can consult an expert for help on this matter.
5. UL certification:
If possible buy one that has the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) certification. Its certificate power protector can withstand harsh weather conditions such as heavy rain and wind.
It’s ideal to buy one which comes with mounting brackets in order to install it properly. This feature is good for those who want a permanent installation.
7. Amp Rating:
If you don’t know how to determine it, here is a clue: the amp rating for an RV power surge protector should be equal to or less than the maximum continuous amperage of your recreational device’s electrical system.
8. Indicator Lights:
Most models come with indicator lights which are useful in letting you know if a circuit has been protected or de-energized.
9. ECO Design:
You should buy an RV power surge protector which comes with eco-design and is cost-effective. They can let you know if there is a problem such as a device being overloaded or it needs changing.
10. Response Time:
Obviously, you should check the response time of an RV surge protector. Here is a clue on how to determine it: The response time is the length of time it takes for an RV power surge protector to respond once a problem has been identified. Commonly, Most protectors are able to respond within nanoseconds or microseconds.
An RV protector is an investment so you have to ensure that it has a warranty for peace-of-mind purposes. There are some brands that offer lifetime warranties & their products are made from high-quality materials and components.
Don’t be lured by the low price of some surge protectors since they can’t give you good value for your money in the long run. It’s better to invest in a high-quality unit that can withstand harsh weather conditions and has UL certification to prove its durability.
FAQs Related To RV Surge Protectors
Surge protectors may appear to be expensive at first glance. But they are a wise investment considering that they can help in preserving the useful life of your recreational vehicle appliances.
It’s best to use it with power cord management and organizing by plugging all your electronic devices into one outlet.
A converter/adapter is different from an RV surge protector since it changes voltage levels only when power surges occur. Whereas a surge suppressor can also be used for reducing electromagnetic interference as well as line spikes.
A surge protector works by redirecting up to 70% of the power surges caused by conditions such as heavy rain, wind, or lightning strikes from destroying your recreational appliances. It’ll help in preventing electrical sags and interruptions to occur which may damage sensitive electronics.
The main difference is that a 30 A is 3x more power than a 50 amp. Also, 30 amp RVs can receive up to 3,600 watts and 50 amp RVs get 12,000 watts. This means that the longevity of a unit may be affected if more power than it can handle is drawn from it. The cost difference is about $10-$100 depending on the brand.
Unless you want to replace your electrical appliances with new ones every year, I’ll strongly advise that you invest in an RV surge protector. This device will help in the prevention of power surges and spikes which are common occurrences.
The best use of such a device is to prevent damage and warnings from power surges. If anything does happen then it’s best to have an EMS, as they offer more protection than RV surge protectors.
The main difference between these two is that an EMS provides more protection than RV surge protectors. This is because it can shut off power, reroute voltage and monitor vital electrical components in a recreational vehicle.
The Issue with plugging your device into a bunch of constantly changing power sources is that you never know what electricity is coming out of the socket. This means that the more devices you plug into one socket (especially heavy-duty ones), there’s always a risk of things going wrong like blowing fuses, tripping breakers, resetting timers, frying circuits, etc. So to protect all devices of your home from any spike, you should use a good-rated RV surge protector.
We hope you’ve found these 9 top-rated surge protectors helpful. Keep in mind surge protectors are a necessity for everyone who wants to protect their valuable electrical system or RVs.
However, if you don’t already have one in place and want a ground-fault interrupter or a surge protector with even better performance, we highly recommend the Southwire 34930 Surge Guard.
This RV surge protector is designed to work on all types of RVs and with the new ‘Clean Power’ filtering Technology in place, will help to reduce any interference or unwanted noise for optimal operation of your electronic appliances.